The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Relumeing a vintage Heuer 2446 Autavia?

James - any chance of finding out what lume you use. I like water based lumes the best as they can be colored for vintage appearance. I used the Bergeon water based lume for years but they discontinued it a couple of years ago - it was great and easy to use. Have not found anything as good and I do not like their chem based replacement.
FYI - I had a customer jump all over me for replacing the lume in some hands that had 40 year old lume that was falling out and looked really bad. He thought it would reduce the value of his watch. I have used superglue on the back sides of some hands that still had all of the original lume in tact to stabilize it so it would not fall out. This was not the case with the watch referred to above - you could see through the hands. I can understand not wanting to have a case polished or not using correct parts (new or used) but I just don't get leaving old bad looking falling out lume in the hands. Besides - old lume is not a good thing for the dial or the movement.
Nice work.

: Well some may say it should'nt be done.......my buddy Mel sent this
: Heuer Autavia 2446 up to me this week to give it a little tlc :)

: We decided on relumeing the dial and hands with a vintage lume due
: to some of the original lume missing from the hands and also
: worn quite thinly and unevenly on the dial markers.

: What do you think?.......If it was yours would you have left it
: as-is??, i'm of the opinion if the lume is still intact and not
: discoloured then leave it well alone but in this case i
: personally think it makes it visually better.

: Before - tired looking lume, missing from the minute hand

:
:

: Lume redone, ready to be recased

:
:

: Night goggles -

:
:

: After recasing -

:
:

: Shame i've got to give this one back :)

: Best,

: James.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE