The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
New arrival revealed

On friday's watchuwearing thread i hinted at a new arrival. Well i think it only fair to follow that up with a full reveal and explanation. It arrived the day before but i had, quite simply, not had time enough to get the photo's it deserves to share with you all.
Here is the box it came in. Note the spelling of the word Chronographe.

photo image002.jpg

Its not a case i had seen before and i think it should suggest to you that it is quite a bit older than the familiar racing boxes and cigar shaped offerings we most commonly see.

Well there's no getting around it i should just show you the lovely older Chronograph(e) that came with it.

photo image004.jpg

Its an excellent conditioned, post war model 2447 chronograph, powered by the mighty Valjoux.72.

photo image009.jpg

For those of you with good memories you may well recall a posting i made early in 2012 where i showed another of this model, the beautifully patina'd lighter dial version. All of the details relating to size and history of this model are listed in my earlier posting and relate directly to this watch. So rather that repeat myself i will add the link to that interesting read. Read it here :
http://www.chronocentric.com/forums/heuer/index.cgi?md=read;id=50279

This new black dialled version arrived with a confusing extra , an original 20mm corfam strap on a sun stamped Heuer buckle. Clearly a mismatch of time periods as i estimate the watch to be from the 1946-55 period but the corfam straps & Heuer sun buckles are from the late 60's at the earliest. None of this made very much sense until i opened up the watch and could see scratched in inner backcase a service mark from 1971. At a guess it was serviced at Heuer at that time, where it received the new strap/buckle combo and the one one non-standard part on the watch, a larger diameter Heuer marked crown. The crown does not look out of place and i will wait some time before changing it out. The corfam/Heuer sun buckle was a terrific bonus and i have safely removed that and set it aside to match to a nice 70's chrono at a later point. I felt so happy with the lizard skin finished strap on the lighter coloured version of this watch that i thought i would match this black face version to the same period looking treatment. The results are stunning, even if i say so myself.

Here we can see some images of the model 2447 pair. Their layout and specification are the same but the coulours & condition of their components are very different. I beleive they complement each other wonderfully. They really are something from your grandfathers youth that can still be used & enjoyed today.
Enjoy these photo's of the pair of them.

photo image010.jpg

photo image012.jpg

photo image1001.jpg

Cheers - Darren

Messages In This Thread

New arrival revealed
Re: wonderful find
Re: wonderful find
Congratulations, lucky Darren! *NM*
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE