The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Scarcity does not always equal Value

hi ralf and jeff

i'm sure that value, in the Heuer market, is not determined by rarity.

you may have noticed a black and stainless Jarama sold on ebay recently. it was not in great condition but is very rare (and a great looking watch). it fetched very little money. likewise cortinas and veronas don't make great money. all of these are just as rare if not rarer than a 7740 monaco.

ok... so the white dial autavia demands a highish price but i think this is due, only in part, to it's rarity. more important is the racing connection with jo siffert.

which brings us to the Monaco. Heuer made bucket loads of them yet they are the most valuable of the racing series. their value seems to be determined mainly by the racing association, though i'm sure the unusual shape and bizzare dial all contribute.

Also the 7740 is a bit of a retrograde step from the automatic so you'd have to be fairly commited to want this particular Monaco. First you would buy a blue cal 11 then a blue or grey 7736 then a grey cal 11 and perhaps a silver cal 15 before chosing the 7740?

bruce

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE