The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
The Chrono that Almost Destroyed Heuer
In Response To: Jacky Ickx Easy Rider ()

Lee:

Thanks for your inquiry and welcome to the Discussion Forum. I am not en expert on the Easy Rider, but here is some information.

The Easy Rider was in fact made by Heuer. It was also made by Heuer for Sears, the retailing chain here in the United States.

The Easy Rider has a reputation as a mechanical nightmare, and it uses a movement that is of a lower quality than the rest of the Heuer chronographs.

I spoke with one watchmaker who worked for Heuer, in Europe, during the time when the Easy Rider was being made. He referred to it as the watch that almost destroyed the company after Heuer had existed for 110 years. My watchmaker here in the United States almost refuses to work on them. He says that the movement is of such poor quality that they can never really be fixed or operate reliably. Back in the 1970's or 1980's, Heuer threw away a lot of its spare parts inventory -- along with the watches, I suppose -- so it is difficult to find parts.

This is all unfortunate, in my view, because they are neat looking chronographs. Certainly they evoke the look and feel of the 1970's.

Bottom Line: If you find one that you like, and want to buy it, be sure that it is mechanically sound.

Good luck and let us know what you do.

Jeff

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: Hello All

: Can anyone give me any background information
: on the 1971 Jacky Ickx Easy Rider watch.

: If it was made be Heuer why are there no Heuer
: signatures on the watch?

: how rare are they?

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE