The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Jack Heuer *PIC*

: Those who have been following the watch media are no doubt aware
: that Jack Heuer is celebrating his 80th birthday this year . . .
: Jack Heuer’s contributions to the brand are immeasurable . . .
: working out the math for the tide dial . . . peddling stopwatches . . .
: . . . pioneering the development . . .
: of the automatic chronograph, or striking deals with Jo Siffert,
: Steve McQueen and Enzo Ferrari, we can say that Jack Heuer has
: embodied the brand for over half a century . . .
:
: . . . I must express deep gratitude to Mr. Heuer. We have
: been email “pen pals” for the last nine years, and
: regardless of how silly, elementary or repetitive my questions
: have been, I can expect to receive a reply within 24 hours . . .
: Jack Heuer’s replies typically go far beyond the questions that I
: have asked, to share background information or perspective, that
: I did not even know to ask about . . .
:
: Jeff

Hello, Jeff . . .

I just found out about this site yesterday --- and have only begun exploring it this evening . . . when I came across your post. This will be my first. I need your help.

I'm more into cars than watches --- although I've worn my Formula 1 (quartz, sorry) for at least 20 years . . . but it's actually Mr Heuer's connection to Jo Siffert that's brought me here.

I own a 1970 Porsche 911 VIN = 9110301059 that once belonged to Jo Siffert. The car was originally ordered for Porsche's own internal use --- it was built for Versuch . . . but is documented as being sold to Mr Siffert, in April 1971. After his death, this car passed through at least 5 more owners before I found + bought it, in North Carolina, 5 years ago. I'd been trying to research the car's history for some time, but only found out what it was 7 months ago. I need some help with the history of the car.

I knew that Mr Heuer hired Mr Siffert to promote Heuer products. And, apparently --- Mr Siffert did quite a job, too. What I did not know was that the iconic Monaco that I've always associated with Steve McQueen --- was furnished to him by Mr Siffert, in France, during the making of the movie 'Le Mans.' I found this out from the book 'A French Kiss with Death,' written by Michael Keyser. And I read this book . . . to find out more about my car. There are some photographs in the book that show what I believe is my car --- Mr Siffert's Porsche . . . on the set of 'Le Mans.'

From what little I've read of Mr Siffert, he must've been quite an interesting person: accomplished, dynamic + hard-working, yet not 'flashy' somehow?. And Mr Heuer would have had his reasons to chose Mr Siffert as his spokesperson.

Which is why I need your help. I would appreciate it if you could pass along my post to Mr Heuer. I would be interested in knowing anything that he could comfortably share about Mr Siffert --- how they met, why Siffert, any reminiscences of their dealings, his passing . . . and if he remembers anything of Mr Siffert's car.

I apologize if this seems like a trivial request. I'm very anxious to find out what I can about the car, of course. (Honestly --- I'm still in shock!) But also --- I was pretty excited to hear that Mr Heuer is your regular correspondent . . . and an energetic one, to, it sounds. And, since there are so few people alive who had close contact with Mr Siffert . . . I wanted at least to try to reach out and contact Mr Heuer.

Anyway, thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Rick Kreiskott

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE