The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Siffert Flipping
In Response To: Re: Interesting read Rick ()

: We know that Siffert was getting Heuers from Heuer at or around
: wholesale price and turning them around to fellow drivers (and
: anyone else around the F1 circus) at probably a bit below retail
: but still enough for him to turn a profit. It wouldn't be too
: much of a stretch to imagine him driving a 911 for a year and
: then moving it on, if he could get them cheap enough in the
: first place . . .

That's one of the remarkable things about 1059

The vehicle was built ~Apr-May 1970 . . . but the notation on the Kardex reads . . .

. . . Versuch, verk. 4.71 aus
x Jo Siffert, Fribourg, Schweiz . . .

. . . Experimental, sold April, 71
to Jo Siffert, Fribourg, Switerland . . .

'Versuch' sounds impressive enough, I suppose --- but there's nothing 'experimental' about the car. It came w/ an LSD . . . but no roll bar, no big fuel tank, nothing but standard 911 stuff. Just a 'high-end' Blaupunkt Köln w/ power antenna --- + electric windows . . . which sounds pretty chi-chi for what I would have expected to've been a well-used garage 'hack.'

Also --- and more telling, I think . . . the car was already a year old --- when Porsche sold it to Siffert, in April 1971.

I think that it was his car all along . . . and it was just that Versuch had the budget to pay for what amounted to a 'company car.' Siffert was under contract w/ Porsche, by then, and part of their 1st Weltmeisterschaft team, in 1970. The later 1180 car was given to him as part of his compensation for continuing w/ Porsche in 1971. Pedro Rodriguez received a similar car as part of his compensation --- VIN = 9111301184 . . . as yet, un-accounted for.

One more thing. While researching Swiss registration records, I discovered that 1059 had been sold there only once . . . in Dec 1971. Siffert was killed two months earlier, in a race at Brands Hatch.

Mr Siffert never flipped 1059. She was only sold after he'd passed away.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE