The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Heuer 844 Monnin with early cathedral hands

There are no guarantees as to the exact history & sequence of the 844 series, its still a little cloudy. I'm sure with time we will figure them out.
I'd guess your example to be one of the first verions assembled by Heuer due to the lack of "Made in France", on the dial. I beleive there were 2 versions of the french marked dials so yours could realistically be the 3rd execution of this fine divers watch. Note that your version has the word "professionel", written in lower case lettering as opposed to my capital letters "PROFESSIONEL", version with made in france on the dial.
It would be interesting to see if your watch is still powered by the FE4611A or if it was one of the first ones to use the ETA 2872 movement. I have read that the FE movements were produced in lower numbers & have pondered if it was this fact or perhaps Heuer's own relation to the ETA group that eventually dictated the choice to change movements.
No great loss in my eyes as to which movement they carry as both movements seem to have proved themselves as robust & servicable over a longer period of time.

Here's my own early french made 844 - FE4611A powered & running strong.
 photo image007.jpg

- Darren

: Can someone tell me more about my latest purchase since it
: doesn't have "made in france" written on it, does that
: make it an early model or late model?
: Its Heuer 844 Monnin with early cathedral hands Serial 39XX All it
: needs is a new crystal.

: I was unable to open the case back to check which movement it has,
: I assume its a FE4611A
:

:
:

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE