The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Off topic - Motorsport memorabilia: what do you have?

Hi all,

during a really boring evening (alone at home, wife and daughter still at the sea for holidays, too tired to exit, I know what do you think, there is better to do alone at home rather than write this post ;-) ), it came in my mind to write a post about some motorsport memorabilia I have in my home... as Heuer has always been a brand associated with motorsport and as among the OTD forum collectors there are many people still working into the motorsport world (John Cote, Bullitt, just to quote two names that came in my mind), I'm sure that there will be many collectors that will have interesting memorabilia to show, so I decided to start this post to see what there is out there. So what do you have on your shelf?

For some years I worked in Ducati MotoGP as test track electronics engineer and, when I left Ducati Corse to start a new personal adventure, my colleagues and my rider gave me some things as a gift (this is quite usual in this world):

a) this is the right fairing of a Ducati Desmosedici GP11 (Nicky Hayden bike #1) that had a crash, with the signs and dedications of some of my colleagues:

b) on the right the helmet of the tester Franco Battaini (the 2011 Marlboro MotoGP TestTeam's rider I worked with) that he gave me the last day I saw him during the last test in Jerez:

It has also the aero spoiler added during that test (a sort of prototypal addiction he tried that day), so for sure it's a true "unique piece":

here with the Autavia 11630T in Viceroy colours:

On the shelf there are also two valves of an 800cc MotoGP engine (smaller one) and of a 1198 SBK engine (greater one), plus a GP3 small model signed by Troy Bayliss.

c) this is my personal bike helmet, signed by my myth that is Troy Bayliss (Troy did some private tests with the MotoGP and the SBK after his "race retirement" at that time so sometimes happened he came with us in Mugello or Jerez):

Obviously there are many others things I obtained at that time (track clothes used during my job, knee sliders and helmet visors signed by the Ducati riders, and so on) that I don't think are so interesting like the above two pieces.

I would be happy to see which memorabilia are owned by other forum users regarding the motorsport world.

What do you think?

Best.

Gianluca

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE