The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Parts 980.006 on eBay - do not buy!

I purchased the watch in the link below as a beater to clean up.

The movement doesn't work (though the seller has revised his listing to state that it doesn't keep time. The needle moves back and forth like its stuck but it doesn't sweep at all).

I can deal with a bad movement but the main problem with this is the HACK JOB of a crown replacement.
The watchmaker drilled out the case and stuck in what appeared to be a generic rolex style crown and tube.

The "repair" process even distorted the case where he used too large a drill or tap, you can actually see where the case bulges out as if the metal is quite thin. The crown doesn't screw in all the way and looks horrible. If you look closely in one of the pics it looks like the crown is unscrewed slightly but it is as far as it will go.

After seeing that I immediately started the return process. He wanted to "generously" offer $45 as a refund when $250 was paid because he did say "as-is". I opened a case and he changed his tune. I should've known better from his zero feedback but you never know. I didn't expect much for $250 other than a 980.006 that simply needed a case refinishing, new glass, seals, and battery.

All is able to be repaired except for the case butchering.

Here is the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/301334016566

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE