The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Not what i would normally consider a Pre-Carrera
In Response To: Pre Carrera? ()

Well as it is released prior to 1963 it is technically made prior to the Carrera but the term Pre-Carrera usually refers to the larger 2447 sibling from 1945-59.
Here are my two 2447's as a reference
 photo image010.jpg
Look at the shape & lugs of these two & you will see the relationship to the first Carrera's.
Please note there are also two register, Valjoux.23 versions , i just cant recall the model designation at the moment.

I think yours is a model 404 - check this link to the 1962 catalog http://www.onthedash.com/Guide/_Catalogs/1961-62_Catalog/?show=P13.jpg
In some ways i can understand your thoughts that your example is a Pre-Carrera but i think the smaller case shape is more directly related the model 2444 as seen in the catalog i linked above.
Lovely little earlier Heuer but not one i would usually label a Pre-Carrera.

Hope this has helped you - Darren

Messages In This Thread

Pre Carrera?
Not what i would normally consider a Pre-Carrera
Re: Not what i would normally consider a Pre-Carrera
Thanks, but movement...
Nobody can help? NT
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE