The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Suspicious trade offer

Have thought long and hard about this for a couple of days and have decided I should post my recent experience just in case.

I have just posted my Hamilton Chrono-matic on Chronotrader forum, and I received a trade off of an Omega Speedmaster from a guy called Jose R Bueiz.

He only sent me a wrist shot of his watch so I replied saying I was interested but could he send me more details, such as model ref, age etc.

He subsequently sent all the relevant info including a partial serial number and all looked good, until I went on line to check prices. The first thing I looked at was an identical age and ref Speedy sold on watchuseek last month. When I read the ad it was the actual same watch, serial number, everything. In fact, the wording of his email was a cut and paste of the watchuseek ad. The ad was not posted under the name Jose R Bueiz, was from October 2014, and the watch was marked as sold.

I then emailed him back and asked him how long he had owned it and he said a year (his reply was also accompanied by a lot of exclamation marks).

I responded that it was strange as the watch was marked as having been sold last month on watchuseek, and he just replied saying "no problem!!!!!!".

I feel that I should post this as a warning of a possible scammer, as it seems very suspicious, as does his reaction. also, at no time was i asked anything about the watch i am selling, which again is odd.

Before posting this I also searched for Jose R Bueiz's name on the forum and the search came up blank. Obviously I don't want to cast aspersions or tarnish the reputation of a stand up member of a forum that I am fairly new to, and will delete this and apologise if this turns out to be the case. But i thought I should post it.

Messages In This Thread

Suspicious trade offer
Re: Suspicious trade offer
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE