The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: ersatz rally dash-clock project completed!

In reference to the dash mounted Aviation clocks, I like to mention that I was introduced to them some years back. My Swiss friend's father owned a Beech Bonanza and when he got his Instrument Rating, he installed two Heuer Dashboard timers. He also used a Heuer Autavia 12 for daily timekeeping. I was impressed with the clean design and bought one as well. This watch became my timing tool for flying. The 8 Day clocks do not allow very accurate timing, especially for approaches, so it was obvious to use the chrono function of the Autavia. As never model Autavia's became available, I purchased them and they have been my timing tools even today.

Once I got checked out in Airliners (Transport aircrafts) which had Aircraft Clocks with Chronographs installed, as required by the Minimum Equipment List, the Autavias took a backseat and to keep me "On Time", I could use a Rolex GMT or a Glycine Airman. But ever since 1967, I have used the Heuer's. I believe these are the best designed (Clear to read), reliable , accurate and overall best performing timepieces. The hour bezel keeps track of local time when travelling without having to reset the time at your destination. A well appretiated feature.

The Heuer Rally Timers may have been intended for timing Rally Sports cars and later Formula 1 Cars, but they found an equally important application in aircraft cockpits.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE