The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Some Thoughts on This Heuer Super Autavia GMT
In Response To: Re: Heuer Super Autavia GMT ()

A couple of thoughts on this one . . .

First of all, this seller uses the approach of listing items at absurdly high BuyItNow prices and then over time, he relists the items and lowers the price, to the point that they are almost realistic. I have not tracked the auctions closely, but I believe that the pair of Clebar timers (shown below) has been on eBay for well over a year, starting at a price of over $5,000. This is simply his approach to eBay . . . his listings typically start at bizarre / absurd / insane prices, usually with a "Best Offer" feature, and they come down over time.

People can take whatever approach they like in eBay listings. Maybe this approach has proven to be effective for this seller. Personally, I have sworn off this seller and do not even bother to contact him about his watches. It has been a waste of time trying to buy watches from him, so I have been in the "no mas" mode. I respect his right to use whatever approach he wants to selling watches, but I don't want to engage with him. It's that simple, for me.

Regarding this Super Autavia, yes, this is a rare execution. And it is described in the 1969-70 Chronosport catalog as a Super Autavia GMT. I owned one of these a few years ago, and liked it, but not as much as the guy who eventually bought it from me. It's a good looking execution of the Super Autavia. Here's the one that I owned -- http://www.onthedash.com/Guide/_DashMounted/Super_Autavia/d.24-Hour_Super_Autavia/

In terms of how much this one is worth, these Super Autavia GMTs have tended to sell at a premium over the standard version of the Super Autavia, but of course the 5X premium (represented by the $15k BuyItNow price compared to $3K for a standard Super Autavia) is truly bizarre. Perhaps this one is worth $5K to $7K, but that is just a guess. If we keep watching the listings of this timer, we may get to see for ourselves how much it is worth!!

Jeff

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: At $2799 this was a lucky buy-it-now by one of our forum members.
: Naturally he has the right to ask whatever he chooses as a re-sale
: but ultimately its only worth what the market is willing to pay.
: I am no expert in the dash pieces but i'm aware these 24 timers
: are quite a bit rarer than the standard 12 hour models. I would
: estimate a sale price somewhere less than 50% the current asking
: price.

: A question in general -
: Is it correct to refer to this as a GMT model ???? I see no
: possible way to display a second time zone. I think the seller
: has seen the red / blue inner bezel and jumped incorrectly to
: the conclusion this is a GMT function.

: - Darren

: :

: :

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE