The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: TAG Heuer Basel Shocker: Carrera Tourbillion (14,900 CHF

: Revolution Online is reporting that TAG Heuer has announced that
: it will introduce a COSC certified tourbillon chronograph,
: priced in the 14,900 CHF range.

Jeff,

This just shows what modern machining techniques will allow. The problem with Tourbillon watches is that even when the price comes down a buyer should think about the long term. As with other very complicated mechanisms, such as perpetual dates and repeaters there will be an ongoing cost associated with maintenance. Make sure that when you buy one you can afford the cost of the first Clean, Oil and Adjust because not very many people other than the factory will be able to do it and it is going to set you back.

One last little rant. When Breguet came up with the concept of the tourbillon he would never have intended it to go in a wrist watch. The whole idea is, from a practical standpoint absurd. The tourbillon concept was designed for a pocket watch, which when worn is much more positionally stable (in a pocket) than a wrist watch (on a wrist). Since this complication serves almost no practical purpose, tfitting a wrist watch with a tourbillon balance takes it out of the tool watch range and puts it into the cool watch range. I have no real problem with this. I own a vintage tourbillon pocket watch and it is a fascinating thing to watch.

I suppose if I were private jet rich I might buy a beautiful tourbillon wrist watch...say a Brequet...but...probably not.

JohnCote

Messages In This Thread

TAG Heuer Basel Shocker: Carrera Tourbillion (14,900 CHF)
Re: TAG Heuer Basel Shocker: Carrera Tourbillion (14,900 CHF
Headlines and Halo Effect ? ? ?
Re: Headlines and Halo Effect ? ? ?
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE