The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
The (First) $25,000 Ref 3646 Autavia

This one certainly has been puzzling to many of us . . . if we are to believe what we see, it was sold twice (at $3,000 and $3,500), and then on the third attempt, it sold for $25,000. I'm still not sure that I can explain how this happened and I'm not even sure that I believe in the legitimacy of this sale, but it got a lot of attention, and people seemed to say that even if this one was not really worth $25,000, the next one might be worth $15,000. OK . . . still a pretty good step up from $3,500.

You might be right that many of the rarest models jumped up, from that point on . . . but I'm not sure whether it was this sale or other factors / events.

Interesting to try to decipher all this!!

Jeff

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: First off, this was wonderful, Jeff. Many thanks for writing and
: sharing it. My observation about the increase in prices of just
: about any model made by Heuer is that it is fairly recent, and
: seems to have come on the heels of an early Autavia sold at
: auction by Antiquorum for $24,000 after previously being sold
: for $3500. Rather than the Haslinger auction held by Bonhams a
: few years earlier, this seemed to be the demarcation point for
: increasing prices.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE