The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Gentleman's Apology
In Response To: Gentleman's Apology ()

Carlo

Thankyou, apology accepted. Lets move forward and try all use this thread to figure out what this dial is...
The seller is aware of this whole discussion on OTD and is happy that it will hopefully help to clarify the situation with dial.

1. The serial number has definitely not been altered, if you look at the Meeting Art auction from Nov 2014 which pre-dates the Antiquorum they log the serial number as 162265.
The seller is currently checking back with Antiquorum to see what has happened here so hopefully we will get some answers on that. From my experience some of these big auction houses tend to have a base knowledge but no real in depth expertise on specific brands. The fact that they suddenly withdrew it and had no confidence in their initial assessment of the watch is bad enough in itself.

2. I think that this is likely an attempt at a new dial model for the 1133. Here is what the German Dr's thoughts were after studying the enlarged photo's (this is taken direct from the sellers emails with him)..
' Dial....hmm, had seen a second one like this with different hands, is not an early one, sub dials are flat like the serial ones, seems like a test dial for 1133 in 1533 style with hand red lined indices from 1533. '

Yes, I agree if this is a prototype dial then it needs further proof to achieve the £15k. They said they priced it based on a 'just in case' scenario so it is out there and available while investigated further which will in turn hopefully draw out the right people to comment. From what I've heard Tag Heuer themselves aren't the best for knowing with this kind of situation either though I think they are contemplating sending it to them to try anyway.
What other 'proper' avenues are there?

Regards
James

: James,

: I wanted to man up and extend a sincere apology for my
: "attack" yesterday.

: Welcome to the forum, and I hope to see your participation more!

: I had presumed that you were another "scammer" because we
: have had an uptick of guys showing up and attempting to
: "pump" up a watch for sale. The email address also
: looked questionable, since many of the "scammers" were
: also using hotmail and outlook email addresses. I actually
: appreciate the fact that you wrote back, and want to have a
: genuine discussion about this Monaco.

: I appreciate the "full story", and am very interested in
: learning more. The part that really puts doubt in my head with
: this piece is:

: 1) The serial was stated as 262265 on Antiquorum, which you
: suggested was a possible typo. This would be a huge typo.

: 2) Even with the serial being 162265, this would still not make any
: sense to me. The earliest 1133G had serials of 157xxx. I would
: think that a prototype would have a serial number that would be
: earlier than the 157xxx, unless this was a prototype for a
: completely new model that never made it.

: Prototypes in general are not easy items to "sell",
: unless you have the ability to prove the authenticity of them.
: This is the big challenge. I personally would not be gambling
: 15k GBP (or remotely close to that) to guess if this piece was
: authentic or not. The seller needs to do more homework, and send
: the watch to several experts, in order to determine and help the
: credibility of this watch. They will need to invest time and
: money, if they want to achieve the highest bid for a piece that
: so far has very little to go by.

: Cheers
: Carlo

: I have read many posts in the back

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE