The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
sorry...

Sorry, but I just find the new LVMH TAG-Heuers are really, really poor designs. Somehow TAG seems more inspired by fake Monaco dials than real ones? The Monaco script and Heuer shield look like they are a completely perfect copy of the font of our favourite fake "waffle" Monaco dials. There is just something so "wrong" about nearly everything they do.

When you look at the beautiful retrospective watches that Omega makes, you really have to wonder why TAG got it so wrong. Zenith also make some great re-issues (and some hideous ones), even some of the Breitlings are not bad (though they do their fair share of hideous as well).

The thing is, what is the objective of TAG? To get the approval of a couple of hundred watch obsessives (most of whom don't buy new watches anyway) or to sell millions of watches? I guess they know that business better than us.... The one reissue model where I think they did a really excellent job was the Silverstone, and that seems to have failed, so it shows I know nothing about selling watches in 2015.

Sorry, it is a bit harsh maybe. LVMH have tried to honour the history in some good ways - the museum is excellent, and some of their adverts are good in referring to past history. So some credit there.

Maybe I shouldn't be so critical, but that's what internet forums are all about.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE