The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: An Interesting TAG Heuer Monaco

A few Fridays ago I happened to be wearing my modern blue Monaco Cal 12 so posted a pic along with an older shot of my 1133G. I love the blue starburst dial finish especially outdoors and I've even come to like the hour markers radiating out in the same way, harking back to the later vintage models (after years of wishing they'd just followed the early horizontals) but it's the modern fonts that disappoint for me in comparison. They're better on this latest one though (and still vastly better than on that awful much discussed shield-painted-on-a-moving-rollercoaster black 1133 !), and those hands are great along with the matching lume plots and vertical dial grain and other features evoking the 1133. I'd like the left hand crown on my TAG but there we go. And I wish they'd followed the vintage case proportions - a bit wider and less tall would be ideal. I first bought a re-issue Monaco back in the late 90's when I knew little about such things and yes they fall short, but would we really want them matching the standards of the vintage pieces down to the last detail ? I'm very happy that my 1133 outshines the modern watches. For me, their best 'vintage re-issue' was the Monza and that wasn't even a re-issue of that model. I'm very happy having old and new but then for me growing up in the 80's, TAG meant engine blocks for McLaren, Prost, Senna etc, not LVMH and its fashion houses. So with the modern shield sparking images like that I've no problem having TAG on some of my dials.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE