The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
New around here (and a 2447S)

Thought it would be a good idea to make a bit of an introduction...

I've been a watch addict since I was a kid (and that was a while ago now). As I'm 48 now it's clearly not an affliction that's going to go away. I started out with Timex when I was about 10 and have been interested in pretty much anything with a resonator or a balance wheel since then. I've recently got into Heuer, thanks to a couple of meetings with Jasper and Iris of ClassicHeuer, the latest at Spa this year.

This is clearly going to be ruinous as I've already tracked down a Vanguard Autavia (currently off for service) and this 2447S.

I picked it up from an auction where it was described as:

HEUER CARRERA GENTS STAINLESS STEEL, WATCH AND BLACK LEATHER STRAP. WATCH FEATURES PLEXI-GLASS, A SILVER DIAL AND AUTOMATIC MOVEMENT.

Well, most of that's right, apart from the 'automatic movement' bit. It's pretty much original (apart from that reset pusher) and I suspect even the plexi has never been touched. I've cleaned it up a little as it arrived looking a little as though it had been owned and worn by a pig farmer.

This looks remarkably like a manual Valjoux cal.72 to me.

It has a few issues, clearly:

- hours chrono recorder doesn't reset
- bottom pusher ain't original
- movement's loose in the case

Timekeeping though, is absolutely bang-on.

I love the dial - although I'm not sure whether it really is silver (it certainly isn't sunburst) or very slightly off-white:

Here's the back:

Paul Gavin and Rich Askham have been brilliantly helpful and Richard will be servicing it for me.

Now looking forward to learning more about vintage Heuer - and already loving it!

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE