The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
A&F watch mystery in Heuer Archives solved...well, partially

Some of you may have read about Abercrombie & Fitch 1960s vintage watch dials I have that match a dial in the Heuer Archives. We'd never seen a complete watch. All we had to go on was this photo that Shaun Weinstein posted here, showing the dial in the Heuer Archives as seen during a Heuer Summit:

Well, here is the complete watch. I've had a box of these dials, long with handsets, but couldn't figure out what watches they went to. Writing on the box indicated a connection to Heuer and that the dials went to an alarm watch with the AS 1475 movement. A few days ago, Los Angeles vintage watch extraordinaire Ken Jacobs emailed me to say he had the complete watch. Ken, owner of WannaBuyAWatch.com on LA's trendy Melrose Ave., sent these pics of the one in his private collection:

Nothing inside or out that ties it to Heuer. So the mystery still remains exactly what earned the dial a place in the Heuer Archives. Maybe a TAG-Heuer official reading this can chime in with more information or a member can forward a link to someone within Heuer who might have more info. To further confuse the issue, the box my dials came in has this interesting hand-written note on top in pencil saying: "Ordered by Mr. Jack Heuer in early June 1963." Shown below:

Here's my original post back in March:

http://www.chronocentric.com/forums/heuer/index.cgi?md=read;id=75620

I realize it is not an A&F or Heuer chronograph, but it's great to piece together some parts of this mystery. My thanks to Ken for getting in touch, to Jeff for this space and to Shaun for his archives photo. Shows a nice group effort in doing what we do well here, which is slowly piece together the amazing puzzle that is the history of vintage Heuer.

Regards - Bill Mahoney

Squinky.com

Oh, and the kicker is that Ken Jacobs says he's planning to get a custom strap made so he can wear this unique piece on his wrist! If you know Ken, you know he is not just kidding.

Messages In This Thread

A&F watch mystery in Heuer Archives solved...well, partially
Really Interesting!
a better main picture added here
great forensics piece Bill-Chronoswiss Timemaster question
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE