The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
What is rare?

I think we tend to see less 2nd executions than 1st, however we don't keep a register of them so it is just anecdotal. I would imagine in reality they are of similar rarity (perhaps slightly rarer), with 3646 variations of both being less observed (perhaps a 60/40 split).

Numbers will be always a guess, movement numbers for 1st exec might now suggest more than 500 for 1st execs and I would imagine a not dissimilar number for 2nd execs (more 3rd execs).

When we talk about known numbers there is often a lot of "hype" tossed around about "rarity" and "observed pieces". The OTD register has over 40 1st execs (3646 & 2446) now and for sure I know there are more in collectors hands that are not on it.

In my opinion this is still a tiny number of known survivors (it will continue to grow of course) and doesn't need to be "dressed up" further. There are rarer Heuers, where we have counted truly tiny numbers so far (2446 tachy dial, 1st exec GMT, 2446 4th exec, 2446cSN etc). Similar low numbers are often discussed on some of the rare Carrera but in reality I think again often underestimated, however in my book any model where observed numbers are less than 50 are truly rare survivors.

Hope that helps a little.

R

: Hi @all, do anyone knows the number of pieces that was made of this
: version?

: I think this version is more rarely found than the 1. exc. case and
: dial. What do you think? Is another example here in our
: community?

: Please show us yours and the case number, mine is 59149

:

:

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE