The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Autavia 2017 -- Some Thoughts
In Response To: Autavia 2017 -- Some Thoughts ()

Jeff,

Thank you for your thoughts... I assume that you have the attention of at least a few of the "bigs" at Tag.

I agree that a 40-41 mm size would be in the Goldilocks range for a modern reincarnation. But only if the proportions of the watch are kept just right. Upsizing a case by making a wider bezel, and keeping the dial real estate the same would be off-putting/downright wrong.

I too am less concerned about an automatic vs manual wind movement, as long as the thickness is not negatively impacted... I have only seen images of the aborted CH80 Carrera (I believe 2-3 years ago shown at Baselworld), so I have no idea of the thickness of that movement when cased. Too many movements are placed in bulky cases, which again throws off the tactile feel/balance of the final product. This is not a diver needing more than 100m water resistance, which I doubt this watch will even have. (Hopefully it will be solid steel caseback rather than a sapphire too.)

My one firm disagreement with your comment is on the date. Yes, the CH80 has a date at 4 o'clock. I don't know what production difficulties would ensue if indeed the movement in the 2017 Autavia is the CH80, were they to consider removing the date wheel.

However, the argument that men's watches will not sell, in 2016 and beyond, without a date function is erroneous. If Tag/Biver say "the market demands a date", I say show me your focus groups, tell me where you found them, and I can find another focus group to say the opposite. The truth is simply: if you make the watch and it is nice enough, people will buy it.

I believe that producing the watch with no date would not deter ANY interested buyer from purchasing it. However... having a date on it will keep some (yes some, not necessarily all) parties from buying it because of the a) asymmetry, depending on placement or b) disruption of the harmony and simplicity of the dateless dial. So there is no downside to producing a modern version sans date, a la the original. Of course, this is in keeping with your comment about extraneous verbiage placed on the dial, like "automatic".

These companies can do whatever they please, obviously, but when will all the marketing departments realize that style from the late 50s and 60s remains appealing today for a good reason!

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE