The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Let’s Discuss – State of the Hobby / State of Community

OK, so we have made it through Basel 2016, the Autavia Cup and the major Spring auctions. There have been lots of behind-the-scenes discussions about the prices we have seen in the auctions, as well current state of the vintage Heuer collecting hobby.

So it seems timely to bang the gavel and solicit your thoughts about what we are seeing. Let’s kick it off with the following questions, to jog your thoughts, with the suggestion that we will welcome your thoughts on any related topics.

• How have your outlook and your collecting habits changed over the last few months, in reaction to changes in the market for the vintage Heuer chronographs?
  • When you see your favorite $5,000 watch sell (three times) in the $15,000 range, how do you react?
  • Have you done any selling? Are your tempted? How do you feel about your “inventory’? Are you holding / hoarding, and why?
  • Have you changed the approaches to finding watches to buy? More aggressive; less aggressive; or maybe out of the market entirely?
  • Are you happy with TAG Heuer’s new focus on its heritage / the vintage Heuer chronographs?
  • Let’s finish with the most important question – Are you still having fun with this hobby? And is that fun coming from different aspects of the hobby?
If it seems like we have had this discussion previously, that’s probably because we have had it, probably a few times. Each time the market jumps up, the nature of collecting changes in some way, and I expect that this will not be the last time we have this type of discussion.

If you have a favorite watch or photo related to your response, please feel free to share that. Below is the Autavia that I am wearing today – worth something between the $850 that I paid for it and the $89,000 that we saw for one of these, at the Phillips auction. But you know, it still looks the same to me . . . I promise!!

Your thoughts on all the above, and anything else, please.

Jeff

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE