The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Let’s Discuss – State of the Hobby / State of Commun

How have your outlook and your collecting habits changed over the last few months, in reaction to changes in the market for the vintage Heuer chronographs?
My outlook toward the vintage Heuer market has changed considerably seeing the prices rocket away from the affordable to the downright insane. I have a few vintage Heuer pieces the prize one being an 11630 GMT Autavia in very good to excellent condition, the others are an early Monnin 844 and a few other Heuer divers. My collecting habits have changed slightly and I am currently buying back into various watches I sold on a few years ago as their price points also change for the better, namely a recent purchase of a Nivavd Grenchen Chronomaster Sea Diver, a Wittnauer 7004A and a few others.
When you see your favorite $5,000 watch sell (three times) in the $15,000 range, how do you react?
I am gutted that the one I was saving for suddenly got so far away from me.
Have you done any selling? Are your tempted?
I have sold a few and am tempted to sell a few however with prices going the way they are they have suddenly become a more desirable investment.
How do you feel about your “inventory’? Are you holding / hoarding, and why?
I am happy with my current inventory and am holding / hoarding a few to see where prices go.
Have you changed the approaches to finding watches to buy? More aggressive; less aggressive; or maybe out of the market entirely?
Not really changed my approach still but from trusted sellers / forum 'friends' and always on the lookout for an ebay deal.
Are you happy with TAG Heuer’s new focus on its heritage / the vintage Heuer chronographs?
Cannot really comment on this as I don't follow the heritage market that closely
Are you still having fun with this hobby? And is that fun coming from different aspects of the hobby?
Yes still having fun and have recently got into vintage chronograph repair as I continually like to learn, I recently completely rebuilt and serviced a Valjoux 7730 movement which I got for $30 as a non runner, huge achievement for me second only to having rebuilt a trashed 911 motor.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE