The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Remember When This Was On The Dash?

Was chatting with a friend from the forum the other day, who (like me) came here because of Heuer dash timers. When I first came, they were all the rage here, and as the proud owner of a 1964 Healey BJ8, I had a beautiful Rally Master set on my dash, another on my desk and a couple others hanging around.

Over time, interest and discussion turned to wristwatches, and we've been through a variety of obsessions here. Remember when it was all about Monacos? Now it's Rindts, oddly enough given that back then you couldn't give the early Autavias away. The only one that had any panache was the Siffert, which appears to be largely forgotten again these days.

I wonder how many people here still have dash timers, still think about them or care anymore. The "On The Dash" name came from something, and it's a shame that they've been long forgotten. I still love mine (and the various watches I bought and sold over the years, and still have today). The friend, with whom I was chatting, tells me he rarely comes here anymore. He was never into the wristwatches all that much, and there's nothing here for someone interested in what's on the dash.

It's a shame that everyone seems to have forgotten why Jeff picked the name in the first place, and that it was dash timers that started OTD. Maybe there's just nothing left to say about them, but for those of us who still love them and enjoy them on our cars, we think of them every time we see them on our dash.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE