The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
heuer silverstone cal 12 (maroon) 110 313

Hi, I was recently given this watch by my father in law , his wife bought it for him to use for refereeing rugby matches back in the mid/early? seventies, it only got about 4-5 months use , although it was a rough life , the glass is well scratched, and a few on the case , however the internals, dial and movement are in super clean condition .
as I I was saying, after about 4-5 months the main minute hand came loose, and in a moment of madness in stead of sending it back for a proper repair , he entrusted the job to a local "watchsmith"? jeweller, anyway ,after another month all but the hour hand and left hand (12 hour) subdial had had fallen off , the pushers had already been showing troubling signs of unresponsiveness . so it has sat in a drawer (moved house 4 times) and was edging ever closer to the bin ,when it was finally given to me.
I am disabled, with severe spinal and breathing problem so ,I do not work and its unlikely I will ever afford a proffessional service/repair . I do biuld my own homage watches though ,its all I can afford, so I do have a knowledge of various movements , though i have no info on this one and will not attempt "going in" ,unless a last resort , I have worked on chrono's before, successfully , but this one is not a design i am familier with so I will ask first ,in the hope someone can point me in the direction of a good honest watchsmith who will not charge me more than the watch is worth .
to see if it was running at all and worth the effort , I reffitted the hands , removed and cleaned/oiled the pushers , and repositioned an internal "link/pusher" that was loose and had come away from its correct position , date changes fine when manually moving the hands ,watch keeps reasonable time , centre seconds and 30 minute (right sub-dial) work fine but only when the linkage is operated manually , the pushers still are a problem, I have studied the movement against many good images of the same (cal12) movementsand everything looks to be in place now ,so i suspect the linkages may just be a little gummy or partially seized, as it only ever got a few months of use , and the infamous encounter with an unqualified watchsmith , and has had no use since until now ,i think an easy fix and service is all that is needed ,but as I myself am unqualified, I really want to give this to a proffessional who knows the movement .
thanks , Graham Berry

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE