The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Carrera 2447- repair in Sacramento?

I've got a Carrera 2447. I think it's the "S" model, but I'm not 100% sure. My dad bought it when I was a kid and I always thought it was really cool. My dad stopped wearing it at least 20 years ago. When he passed away a few years ago, I inherited it. It will wind up and run, but does not keep time. I'm not a watch afficianado, but I really like this watch. I looked into repairing it about 5 years ago, but didn't have the time or money at the time, so it's just sat in my dresser since then.

I'm looking for a good local watch shop to take it to. Any suggestions in the Sacramento, CA area? I'll travel to San Francisco Bay Area if necessary. I'm not interested in shipping it anywhere. Five years ago Pauls Watch Shop in Sacramento was suggested to me. Is this still a good company for these watches? When I went to Paul's 5 years ago, I recall I wasn't terribly impressed by the person I spoke to.

If/when i find a good shop, any idea what it should cost to repair? I've gotten estimates from local watch shops and jewelers from $375 plus parts to $900 all inclusive. Also, i've seen similar watches on ebay touting "untouched, unpolished, unaltered". Is it a good idea just to have the internals serviced, but not have the face or hands cleaned up? The watch face is in good used condition, but not excellant, as my dad wore it for 20 years or more and probably never got it serviced.

I really love the watch and expect to wear it a few times per week.

Thanks for any input.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE