The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: What an Interesting List of Watches!!

: Fascinating to see this list of watches for sale and also
: interesting to imagine that in 1995, this was the way that old
: watches were bought and sold. Of course, over the next five
: years, along cam eBay and with that, the end of these chatty
: newsletters and listings!!

Jeff,

My dad got a bunch of these lists. I can't find most of them (he seems to have actually thrown some things out) but I remember them from the '60s. Most of the guys who put out these mailing lists were early eBay adopters. Some of these guys are big time and well known in the watch world today. A lot of them started in pocket watches and gradually went into wrist watches. Some of them were honest and some were varying degrees of crooked. That didn't change much when the selling went from mail lists to on-line.

JohnCote

Messages In This Thread

Watch Collecting History Content...
Newsletter
Interesting Note
What an Interesting List of Watches!!
Re: What an Interesting List of Watches!!
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE