The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Derek Bell -- Autavia 1163, Black Dial with Tachymeter Bezel
In Response To: Re: Derek Bell model ()

It seems that Derek Bell wore at least two Autavias -- a "Siffert" model (white dial) at the filming of Le Mans and a black-dial model later in his life.

Looking at the black one, I'm not sure that we can determine the style of the registers or markers, but it does seem clear that the bezel is marked with a Tachymeter scale (and not a Minutes / Hours bezel). So we would call that one a "Viceroy" or a "pre-Viceroy". I haven't seen any photographic evidence that he wore an Autavia with a black dial and an MH bezel.

Jeff

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: The hour subregister on the left side should only have 3-6-9-12
: instead of 1-12 as seen on viceroys.
: And the markers are rigged and not polished. Just my view.

Messages In This Thread

Derek Bell model
Re: Derek Bell model
Derek Bell -- Autavia 1163, Black Dial with Tachymeter Bezel
Autavia 1163MH
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE