The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Heuer Chronograph - Advice Please?

Hi

I'm after some advice please. I've owned a Heuer Chronograph for a while, and recently had to open it up to re-secure the crown. The crown came loose a few years after sending if off for repair. Grrr. At the same time, they also replaced the cracked glass, however they put what feels like a plastic/resin glass in, which feels cheap when you tap it.

Therefore, while I have it open, I'd like to replace it with a mineral glass. The current glass appears to snap in securely to the stainless ring (see photos). To get hold of a new mineral glass, would I need to measure the current glass very carefully and order it somewhere? Does anyone have any suggestions of where I would need to go to do this?

Also, is there any recommended way to very carefully clean the dial? I don't want to touch it unless I know how to do it properly and carefully. It's not too bad, but there are some darker patches around the outside.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Lastly, if anyone can tell me anything about the watch itself, that would be very interesting. I think it's probably 1950's?

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE