The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
My thoughts...
In Response To: I'm biased... ()

I agree with you Rob, I think the pictures did more harm than good. There is the chance that some of the dark spots on the dial that were not due to the scratches on the crystal will not clean up, so this was riskier than the Fisher that I purchased back in November in my opinion. Also, certain pictures showed black wear around the edges of the sub-registers that may be problematic and it was difficult to determine if the lume dot at 3 o'clock was still in tact. The condition of the dial will be the key because the remainder of the watch appeared to be in original condition. That said, the buyer may get lucky and this may be another gem after replacing the crystal, but there was certainly some risk with this one.

My two cents.

Jim

: ...because to me, the Carrera is the most beautiful sports
: chronograph ever created. With that disclaimer out of the way,
: however, I think they've been slowly making their move and will
: continue to increase into the mid-teen range for desirable
: three-register models in great condition. As others have noted,
: they just don't frequently arise for sale, and when they do,
: finding one with all lume plots intact / desirable and a perfect
: dial / case is even harder.

: I had a bid in at $7,750 for the Fisher, knowing full well that it
: wouldn't go the distance. I think the pictures did more harm
: than good in this case, and other than a few marks on the dial
: (that may or may not come off with the expertise of a skilled
: watchmaker), the tone of the dial / patina will come out great
: in natural lighting and with a new crystal. Really hoping
: someone here got it!

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE