The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Unusual cal14 "i"?

I am usually very hesistant to post "unusual" stuff in any forum with an audience "who has seen it all" but a trusted friend mentioned it is different enough to post.

So here are a few pics of a Cal 14 from a late 1163gmt. It is different from the usual cal 14 in that:
1) it is rhodium plated and not brass
2) the 14 is stamped-over like a converted cal 11i
3) it has an "i" stamped on movement but no special markings on the case

Case serial is 247xxx which from jeff's reference table is the viceroy series but the case is stamped 1163 with no V. Dials n hands look normal to me nothing remarkable i see. Case back has some numbers which is absent from my other watches.

Has anyone come across or have a similar configuration? My guess is heuer had supply issues (what i gather from Jack heuers biography) and just took from cal11 parts bin and converted to a cal14 to meet production quotas. I think (and hope) it was not a random watchmaker/frankener/prankener that did this as the stamped 14 and i looks very similar in quality to cal11i, in any case to my non expert eyes

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

Messages In This Thread

Unusual cal14 "i"?
Quick question for you
Re: Quick question for you
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE