The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Autavia 11630 KAF / Mil serial numbers

Jeff's post highlighting the early serial 1969 Autavia 1163 sold this week on ebay has prompted me to seek some insight from the forum at the other end of the range.

I am researching the later Autavia 11630 serial numbers having acquired a total of four in the last year all believed to be supplied to the Kenya Air Force , but not all with the “KAF xxx” engraving on the case back. All four bear a 376xxx serial number but only one has the “Shauntavia” Arabic dial, the rest are Viceroy dials with a mix of Viceroy hand sets or White (and possibly faded orange) pencil hands.

I know of other 376xxx serial numbered 11630 Autavias currently in the hands of esteemed members of the OTD community, both with and without Arabic dials and / or engraved casebacks that would suggest something of a parts bin raid circa 1980 in Bienne to clear out the last 11630 models to fulfil military orders. The mystery has extended given the Christies are claiming that lot 38 in the upcoming Geneva auction, a 11630 marked KAF 447 to the caseback with arabic dial and serial number 376664 is dating 1972(?) whereas my research so far indicates this would be c1980.

I have also seen Argentinian Air Force Glossy black / white dialled 11630’s with both 375xxx and 376xxx serial numbers.

Any more intelligence from the community would be welcome and apologies if it has been discussed before.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE