The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Fernando Alonso: Why I’m Racing in the Indy 500

Mike,

You are so right but there have been many more and there are many more good drivers both American and not driving on the IndyCar circuit right now. But, having said that (AND THIS IS ALL IN FUN) Mr CopyPaper missed the point of my previous message. There is no doubt that many of the best drivers are in F1 today and have been for some time now. The best talent will go where the money is. We would all be fools to deny this. What I said was that, even with a lot of the best talent, F1 is a bore most of the time. If you qualify on the pole or in the top 3 you generally win and the money sits on the pole. You have the money (a couple of teams) and the back markers. Occasionally there is a Verstappen to make things a little interesting and occasionally someone passes someone else in an F1 race but not very often. The TV announcers do their best to generate excitement over the slightest twist but a race fan knows it is a bore. The coolest thing about the F1 season is the money it brings out. One of the worst things about F1 is that the cars cost so much that the teams, even the rich teams, need to be so protective that the competition is limited by the need not to wreck than many dollars.

LeMans is a different thing and here Americans have always held their own. IndyCar has some boring circuits but by and large it is much better racing. Talent does not make racing. Competition makes racing. Today if you put Dixon, Pagenaud, Hunter Reay, Newgarden etc in good F1 cars I am sure they would hold their own with anybody. In the day of Jim Clark, who was and who remains a hero of mine, AJ Foyt was as dominant a racer as anyone in the world. Anyone who tries to tell me that Foyt was not on a level with his European peers of the day simply doesn't know a thing about motorsport.

With love

JohnCote

: Gilles Villeneuve
: Mario Andretti (Peterson was fast but only once Mario had set it
: up)
: Phil Hill (World Champion -- even with the best car you have to be
: a darn good driver)
: AJ Foyt (Le Mans 24 hour winner)
: Mark Donahoe
: Dan Gurney -- the only driver Jim Clark feared
: Bobby Marshman -- highly regarded by Colin Chapman

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE