The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Indy 500 -- What Impressions??
In Response To: Indy 500 -- What Impressions?? ()

Jeff,

I don't ever get to watch much of the race except through a lens or a grab or two on a TV monitor...and I know that most of what people here want to know about is Fernando's race so here are my observations. Out in the corners you can tell a lot about what a driver can do. Fernando is a road course expert who will get an oval...at least a flat weird oval like IMS if he keeps at it. He is strong, quick, smooth and brave. He is not yet to the level of our best drivers in traffic. He will lose the draft or get himself into turbulence when he shouldn't. He is also not quite up to the level of the best in the pits. He will be better at this if he comes back again. As far as his engine giving out...Indy is an endurance race for engines. It is hard to say whether his inexperience had anything to do with it. His team did pretty well. I can say this for sure. He seems a great guy. The driver/fan/press experience at Indy is much different than in F1 and he handled it brilliantly. The fans love him and they don't always take to F1 drivers. I hope he comes back.

What I take away from this race is that IndyCar has the best safety innovation, the safest cars and the best safety crew in racing....anywhere. As for the racing...it was certainly more exciting than Monaco.

JohnCote

Here are a few pictures:

IN HIS PIT WITH TEAM OWNER MICHAEL ANDRETTI

RUNNING IN A PACK BEHIND SCOTT DIXON

COMING INTO TURN ONE JUST BEFORE (SAME LAP) THE BIG SCOTT DIXON WRECK

THE WRIST OF NIKKI SIXX WITH CARTIER ROADSTER

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE