The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
2017 Autavia, Preliminary Review.

So, after a couple of days on the wrist I thought I would take the time to write down a couple of thoughts on my new, re-edition Autavia. As I said in another place, this is the first watch I have ever bought new from a jeweler. I have bought a lot of pre-owned new edition watches but never thought I would the guy who couldn’t wait and just had to have the brand new watch.

First let me put in a plug for the jeweler from whom I bought the watch. Reis Nichols in Indianapolis is a dealer for just about all of the major grail brands from Rolex, Patek, AP, to TAG and Breitling just to name a few. They also usually have a well-stocked pre-owned and vintage display and a team of top-notch in-house watchmakers. However, the best thing about the Reis Nichols is the store manager, Vladimir Dzeletovic who is as knowledgeable and helpful a watch guy as you are likely to find. I have known Vlad for years. We have bought and sold a few watches to and from each other and I suppose if I was ever going to buy a new watch it would have had to have been from Vlad.

I did not go into Reis Nichols with the intention of buying this watch. I simply wanted to see it in the metal. When I saw it in the case it looked great. Frankly it stood out from its TAG Heuer display neighbors. I thought that even next to the several blue Monacos, it looked like a real watch. It looked solid and substantial. It reminded me of the first time I saw the new editions of the Fifty Fathoms in a case full of Blancpains…a real watch among a bunch of pretty jewelry.

Vlad took the Autavia out of the case and handed it to me. It was heavier than I thought it would be. The weight felt right. I knew the bracelet would be more substantial than an old BOR but it felt better, more solid than I expected. I put it on my wrist and fastened the clasp and it was a bit too big. This never happens. I have big wrists. Watches are never too big right out of the box. Vlad adjusted the bracelet and the watch fit perfectly. It felt balanced and comfortable. It stayed in the right place on my wrist with just the amount of slack I like.

I walked around swinging my arms. The watch kept its place. I looked at myself in the mirror. The watch looked like it was meant to be on my wrist. I walked back to the counter. Vlad handed me a scrap of paper with a number on it. I plunked down my card. I put the watch I had been wearing in the TAG box and the Autavia has not been off my wrist during waking hours since. It still feels as good as any tool watch I have worn.

What do I like about the watch? I like the attention to detail. The case is substantial and well finished. The bezel is very well made and has a firm but easy click in both directions. The crown and the pushers are nice and well proportioned. The bracelet is cool and comfortable. I am not necessarily a view back guy but I find I like being able to look at the nicely finished movement when I take the watch off. Starting, stopping and resetting the chrono mechanism happens with firm and easy pressure and a sure responsive click. I like the layout of the “face”…the dial and bezel look balanced and well thought out. It is not, as many vintage fans point out, an old Autavia. It is a new take. I even like the tiny but easy to read date window. So far the watch keeps very good time. I doubt it will be as accurate as the new model Rolex Daytona but I think it is easier to use, looks better and feels better on the wrist.

What don’t I like? Although I can’t really find a mechanical fault, I don’t really like the bracelet clasp. It works and seems to be solid but it isn’t up to the standard of the new Rolex clasp. I know the Autavia costs about a third of the new price of a Daytona so I am probably expecting too much. That’s about it for the negatives for now.

As I said, this is my first new watch bought new. That said, I spend a lot of time looking at new watches online and in stores. The new Autavia is an homage to one of my favorite vintage watches but it is a thoroughly modern watch. I think that, for the money, it is as good a value as I have seen. I still want a Fifty Fathoms but now I think I can be my usual opportunist self and wait until a pre-owned example comes my way.

JohnCote

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE