The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Rindt - Plexi's and tension rings...

Jeff,

I have seen a couple as well now. Think 3 Rindts and one 2446c. The 2446c from RK had an Omega inner bezel fitted and not Heuer Carrera inner bezel. The Rindts all had the inner bezel from the 2447 Carrera's fitted, also same plexi which is fitting to the Rindt case.

For me it's just a wrong part in the watch and is easily replaced by the chrome tension ring and correct plexi. I am pretty sure these Rindt were actually not born like this but was rather subject/outcome from a "creative" watchmaker.

Worth to know is that the Rindt's use a chrome tension ring which is a bit wider as the usual/standard tension rings we find in standard armoured plexi crystals. So, when fitting a standard plexi as replacement you will see a small gap between the chrome tension ring and the movement, not very good to see, but a trained collector/eye will notice it. I can tell you that a lot of Rindt's on the market are equipped with a completely wrong/bad fitting plexi and tension ring.

Now, we come back to that "creative" watchmaker...probably when these Rindts were going in for service they did not had any more correct plexi/tension rings available and they used the 2447 Carrera plexi and tension ring, which happens to fit also ans since the inner bezel/tension ring is a bit wider then the standard one too..., by the way, I think it looks fantastic too!.

Just my thoughts,
abel.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE