The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
First vintage Heuer - Autavia Viceroy. Photos and a few ?s

I've been wanting a Viceroy for many years. I recently decided that with the the way the market is moving, if I didn't buy one now, I might never be able to. I sold 6 watches out of my collection, and have been searching for the past few months. I came disappointingly close on a few really nice ones, but finally after owning it for about an hour, I'm happy with what I got. The edges seem nice and sharp. The pushers are crisp and not sticky. The chronograph works as intended, and the crown winds smoothly. The bezel is quite stiff, but that's fine with me because I don't want it to rotate by accident anyway. The lume even works.

I was too excited, and just took a few quick photos with my phone, but I'll take some SLR photos later. I ordered a cordovan rally strap, so I will post some photos once that arrives as well.

Questions:
-I don't know the service history, or history of the gaskets. I don't plan to submerge this watch in water, but is it likely to be alright if I splash a bit of water on it by accident, or to clean it?
-Does the serial number 340081 seem correct for a Viceroy? Based on some of the guides posted, it does not seem correct, but then I saw a recent where a reader said that it is in fact correct.
-Does the "economy" bracelet add much value to the watch? I know that a GF definitely does, but this is not that.
-Any other thoughts on the watch are appreciated! From what I can tell, it seems original, but any advice otherwise is good info.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE