The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: So, what does the Christies sale tell us Heuer collector

Brook

I'll quickly answer your points with some additions at the end, just my thoughts.

1. June is never a good time to sell, I would definitely not put an ordinary watch to auction in June.
2. Agree, this is what I've been saying for years, the market is about "trophies", the more mature the market gets this will be amplified further still.
3. I doubt it, but who can tell, possibly for average/poor condition or expecting over market value surprises for ordinary watches. Check back in a year and see.
4. I'd be disappointed if they didn't achieve above 2010 prices ;) Our reserves will be very realistic, so you shouldn't be put off bidding ;)
5. PVD Monaco in average condition, price seemed pretty good to me, to expect more is crazy imo, perhaps your own expectations are too high. Phillips sold a "best ever condition" one for $64k not too long ago, so compared against that it maybe overperformed, Monaco values are flat over past few years. I'll take $64k for mine in Nov :) The 2446cSN, yes you could say based on some metrics this was a little low, although it's not a grail screwback case Autavia, or 60s Carrera grail or "sailing watch" which is where the market is focused right now. Also the hands are service, a small point, but yes this is one you may think was a little low but not by much more than $10k or so.
6. I'll add that some of the reserves were obviously too high in my opinion (and to others), so I suspected those watches would not sell. Generally the average watches made average money, the grails made strong money, and as always there was the odd watch that went higher or lower than expected. Seems usual to me and healthy, unlike the stupid outliers of last year where a couple of watches that obviously didn't deserve to make crazy money did, Personally I hope we've seen the end of those kind of "outliers" as they make no sense to anyone and confuse the market.

Cheers
R

: For me, besides the well documented 3647S, the two well known
: Chronomatics and Indy Autavia... all other's seemed to get
: passed over or were in line with what we see regularly. Maybe
: the tropical dial GMT was up there, but the Dark Lord and the
: 2446SN cannot be considered great prices, can they ?

: Disagreement is welcome here.

: 1. Has the summer doldrums started ?
: 2. Only rare and exceptional pieces are hitting new highs ?
: 3. Has the market peaked ?
: 4. Will Paul and Rich's watches do the same five months from
: now....or will we have another Arno smash??

: I regret I could not have joined the contingent in NYC and hope
: they all had a great time last night. I am sure the Wind's were
: gracious hosts.
: Let's hear your thoughts on today's results.

: Brook

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE