The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Anyone else annoyed about this?

Hello guys,

it is very interesting to read the different opinions about this topic on the forum. Even if some of those opinions are completely contrary, each point of view has its value.

After the first few positive reactions and the general enthusiasm I found it very refreshing and brave when Stewart made his point.

Being a collector of 60s Carreras for a few years now, my first reaction to the news about the Skipper recreation was disappointment. How and why has the project been kept secret to the (wider) community? Why didn't I know about it and therefore have no chance to buy one of those? Poor me!

I assume some of you felt the same. Apart from the privileged "insiders", who were involved and informed beforehand, of course.

But after a few hours and looking closer at this watch, I calmed down. If you are into modern and new watches, this funky colored combination of vintage elements might be an interesting consideration. But honestly, which enthusiast would seriously spend 6k on this recreation, rather than invest the sum in a nice, original, vintage Carrera? I have only one left wrist, a few different vintage Carreras to wear, so why spend a lot of money for this one? Only to have "the complete set" in the drawer? Or because I can't afford the original Skipperera (which I can't, of course)?

So I am pretty relaxed now, thinking that this watch is not for me, anyway (the same would have been the case with new Autavia, if I was an Autavia collector).

Just my 2 cents.

Robert

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE