The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Question -- How Many Original Skipperreras?

In the Hodinkee posting introducing the new Skipper, they write that "fewer than 20 [of the original Skipperreras] are thought to have been made and only a dozen are still known to exist today". Click HERE, for the Hodinkee posting.

The phrase that I have quoted above strikes me as something of a disconnect. If we have seen 12 of these in today's market (which estimate sounds about right), surely there were a lot more than 20 produced, back in 1967 . . . right? I am assuming that the "survival rate" of most of our beloved vintage Heuers is in the 5 / 10 / 20 percent range. So if we are seeing 12 of the Skipperreras in the hands of today's collectors, there must have been far more than 20 produced.

Please share any thoughts on this point.

Thanks,

Jeff

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE