The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Valjoux Carrera by Heuer *PIC*

Dear all,

I was fortunate to buy an early 70ies chronograph that belonged to a former owner of the Valjoux SA.

The case of the watch clearly is a gold-plated 60ies style Heuer Carrera case. The correct reference number 2448 and the serial number 120XXX are stamped between the lugs. The HEUER LEONIDAS SA writing inside the caseback has been professionally removed, only SWISS - STAINLESS STEEL BACK remain.

The dial, which features a Valjoux logo, has a stunning dark grey sunburst finish and large, white registers. The hands seem to be generic and have no links to Heuer.

Interestingly the case houses an unsigned Valjoux Cal 726 ébauche movement.

The gold-plating of the watch is somewhat tarnished and shows the age of the watch. Otherwise the watch is in pristine condition.

The only similar watch I have seen so far is shown in the following Hodinkee blogpost: https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/understanding-the-earliest-heuer-carreras

Do you happen to know more about these Valjoux Carreras? Were they just Valjoux Prototypes that by chance happened to be housed in Heuer Carrera cases? Or was Heuer maybe testing the improved Valjoux Cal 726 for the use in its Carrera line?

I would be grateful for any information, insight and thoughts you can share about my particular watch.

Thanks a lot in advance and best regards from Switzerland,

Messages In This Thread

Valjoux Carrera by Heuer *PIC*
Re: Valjoux Carrera by Heuer
Re: Valjoux Carrera by Heuer
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE