The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
So Tell Me, What’s An Old Seafarer Worth?

We are dealing in rare watches, resulting in a very thin market, so it is often difficult to estimate the “fair market value” of a particular watch. Still, I will admit to being baffled by the results of some recent auctions of Abercrombie & Fitch Seafarer chronographs.

Here is the line-up:

• December 2016, Christie’s – Reference 2447 sells for $22,500 (final price)
  • December 2016, Christie’s – Reference 2443 sells for $32,500
  • June 2017, Christie’s – early Reference 346 (tropical dial) sells for $60,000
  • August 1, 2017, eBay – early Reference 346 sells for $15,304.

The link to the one that sold on eBay this evening is HERE.

OK, crew – who can explain these results, in a coherent way?

Was the eBay 346 a rough watch – with the scar on the dial (toward 12 o’clock), a mechanical problem with the crown, and the condition of the lume on the hands? Do most bidders stay away from the “projects”? Are we happier buying from Christie's, rather than the unknown seller on eBay? Discount for poor photos?

Was the Christie’s tropical 346 so exceptional that it was worth twice the price of any two of the others? Two bidders who wanted to win, at any (crazy) cost?

And what about the 2443 and 2447, which sold in the $22,000 to $32,500 range? Were those high, low or just about right?

Explanations, please? Which was a bargain (if any) and which was over the top?

And by the way -- I am thinking that the eBay Seafarer was a real bargain, and hoping that it will soon be in the family. So shout out if you are the eBay winner!!

Jeff

Messages In This Thread

So Tell Me, What’s An Old Seafarer Worth?
Re: So Tell Me, What’s An Old Seafarer Worth?
...or what's it worth to me?
Congratulations, Shaun!!
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE