The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: To relume or not *PIC*
In Response To: To relume or not ()

: Is there a general consensus regarding reluming of vintage Heuer?

: Do people value originality over aesthetics?

: I am thinking particularly of a 2447s where I think a quality
: "vintage" relume can make the dial look stunning
: compared to darkened dirty original lume.

: Would your view change if it was a rarer 2447s, say a double-signed
: dial or an early hex back? Does originality then become more
: important?

: Your views would be much appreciated.

: Andrew

I even do not have only one opinion on this topic. I have a manual Autavia Bund since 35 years. It a quite simple piece but I still like it and wear it most of the time as my “standard” one. I could always relay on it. About 10 years ago when it got a service I let also do a re-loming of the hands (not of the dial). I am traveling a lot around the world and I like to see the local time at my wrist whenever I wake up at night.

Some weeks ago I also let the case re-polish (and grind) by an expert. I did this for the 35th anniversary of my Autavia.

On the other side I would not re-lume a dial or even the hand hands of any other pieces in my collection. I like them as they are and they are old and original. I wear these pieces only those days when it is clear that I will not make my hands (and watch) dirty.
Well this is my very personal opinion.
Dirk

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE