The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Broad Question / My General Answer
In Response To: To relume or not ()

You ask a broad question, so let me suggest a broad answer, a general approach to the subject.

My usual approach is that it's OK to relume the hands, but the dial is usually better left untouched. Maybe there are exceptions, but it's hard for me to recall situations when a relumed dial does not detract from the watch.

As the old saying goes -- "It's only original once.", so I would hesitate to touch the dial of any vintage Heuer chronograph. Of course, different collectors have different approaches.

Jeff

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

: Is there a general consensus regarding reluming of vintage Heuer?

: Do people value originality over aesthetics?

: I am thinking particularly of a 2447s where I think a quality
: "vintage" relume can make the dial look stunning
: compared to darkened dirty original lume.

: Would your view change if it was a rarer 2447s, say a double-signed
: dial or an early hex back? Does originality then become more
: important?

: Your views would be much appreciated.

: Andrew

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE