The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
c. 1937 Jaeger-LeCoultre...

...not exactly a tool watch, but a nicely crafted tool by a respected watchmaker in the 30's. Sorry to get off topic, but was excited about a new arrival.
The Jaeger-LeCoultre Compass Camera was produced in 1937. Machined from solid aluminum, it is the smallest 35mm camera ever produced. Considering this was manufactured in the 30's it was no small feat and required the expertise of a company like Jaeger-LeCoultre to pull it off. The camera was pretty advanced with more features than most modern cameras today all crammed into a tiny package just over 2" square.

I have been searching for a nice example for 20 years, and this week two of my grails arrived. The Compass camera and a nice one owner Omega 2914 shown for size comparison. The lens barrel on the camera collapses to form a very small pocket camera.

Hodinkee wrote a nice piece on the camera recently:
https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/jaeger-lecoultre-compass-camera

and on the 80th anniversary of its creation, Jaeger-LeCoultre created an exhibition featuring work commissioned by photographers using the camera:
http://www.jaeger-lecoultre.com/us/en/chronicles/news-events/compass-camera.html

I collect both tool watches and vintage cameras...I love it when the two hobbies collide.

Messages In This Thread

c. 1937 Jaeger-LeCoultre...
Beautiful
Re: c. 1937 Jaeger-LeCoultre...
Re: c. 1937 Jaeger-LeCoultre...
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE