The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
I know what Gianluca AND what Jeff is saying..

Gianluca, and Jeff,
I know what you are both saying - and I agree with you both.
I think a subtly was maybe lost in translation, but Gianluca's post was read by me as a heart-felt response.
I also agree with Jeff, as to why social media has taken over the forums etc.

What I think, and what Gianluca was possibly trying to say, is that we are old school dudes, having a reminiscence of Heuer hunting and Heuer info gathering of 5-10 years ago. It was exciting, it was new ground.. we all formed relationships based on shared knowledge and trust. We challenged each other, we hunted down the histories, catalogue photos and even went to the trouble of buying 3-4 of the same model to check differences. There was a 'cold war' feel to getting info.. email this person, who said, "Speak to Paul", or "do you know Rich", or "drop Jeff a message" - it was almost clandestine. Contacts lead to other contact, across countries and continents. Speak to John in the US, then speak to Nic in London, then Abel In the Netherlands.. it was all very cool!!
Central to this was (and still is) OTD, it's always been the foundation of all of it.

If I can speak for myself, and hopefully Gianluca.. we feel that there was a magic to discovering Heuers.. purchases were maybe a gamble, but one worth taking. Discovering histories and model differences was part of the fun and intrigue. We've all bought tragic lemons and lost money, yet we've all bought rough looking junk that has turned out to be diamonds in the rough that brought us pleasure.

Heuer collecting is way more mainstream now, and with all the info out there, some of the adventure (and a lot of the jeopardy) has gone. I say that as someone who has aided and abetted the fall of the adventure, as my blog & social media, and many others like it has made it easier. I guess that's progress, and that's the way it is, and it's a good thing.

Still, I'd like to think that if I'm ever in a corner of Italy, and want to have a coffee & talk about Heuers, I'd drop Gianluca an email.. I'd also say the same about Jeff if I ever find myself stateside in Alabama, and the same goes for all the Heuer guys and gals around the world.

It's been a hell o' a ride, and I hope it continues.

PS. Gianluca.. you're right, my posting & blogging has declined a lot - I'm busy with 'life' and I hope to contribute more, if I have the time! Thanks for your kind words brother! Same goes to you Jeff.. we still have the 'Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid" history from "Tee Zed You Kay" ;0) incident to reminisce at!!

Stewart
Heuerville

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE