The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Do you guys know about "service" Heuer Carrera 2447 case

Hi Robert,

Thanks for getting back, you've provided very interesting information.
I've read around that there fake/franken Carreras floating around, and in this case the owner is a serious collector, so at least I have some peace of mind.
This case bugs me, because I'd assume that a "faker" would put a random number on cases to make them look right... Maybe the case was polished / reworked, maybe it is a fake, maybe the inscription just rubbed off with time...
In any case, it's a pity that there isn't (yet :) ) a Carrera book or at least an online detailed comparison/timeline between what's right, what's not and what was produced by Heuer, but I get that these were difficult times to catalog, plus, the Carrera is a difficult watch in itself (for starters, they don't have a serial number...)

Thanks for the link to your thread, I'll read it carefully, look at different pictures and bring my 2447 when I'll be looking at the other one.

Cheers!
@Mailollo on IG

: To be honest, I would be suspicious. I have never heard about blank
: service cases from TAG Heuer. In their service and restoration
: department they keep some old spare dials. They recently began
: to remanufacture some parts like bezels/inserts (clearly marked
: as such by adding TH to the reference number), but they did not
: mention any cases.

: Maybe the case you are talking about is an old one which has been
: refurbished, and during that process the serial number has been
: removed?

: Be aware that the reference number 2447 was engraved (embossed?)
: only on the 2nd execution cases, not on the 1st.

: What we know is that there are incorrect, built-up Carrera cases
: around. Serial numbers can be added. Just have a look at the
: "Carreras" on the infamous chronoaddict website, or at
: this old thread:

: http://chronocentric.com/forums/heuer/index.cgi?md=read;id=84327

: The easiest way to identify the fakes is the slightly different
: shape of the lugs and their thickness. Be careful and compare!

: Robert

: IG: heuer_carrera

: -------------------

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE