The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Non “T” Swiss dial on a Carrera 3647s

: Mark, thank you for this helpful information – I never stop
: learning! I always assumed that only the early (eggshell)
: Carrera 3647/2447 S had "non-T-dials". Gary's non-T
: 3647 S with s/n 65XXX has the starburst dial.

: Robert

Yes, it's relatively late but the NRC in the US only codified the tritium markings in 1966 and the US was one of the early adopters of the legislation, other jurisdictions held out a bit longer. ISO 3157 is the international standard for lume in watches if you want to read more - I find it quite an interesting field.

Given the half life of H3 is just over 12 years, if you have a watch from that first run of Carreras and the lume is intact, it will now have less than 5% of the tritium that it originally had. Even if the ZnS phosphor base material is still intact, it's unlikely to be triggered enough for the watch to glow enough to show - nonetheless there will still be the odd decay event going on in there.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE