The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
My first Autavia (1163)

Greetings all,

Major thanks to Mr. Stein and everyone who contributes here on OTD.

Also, a personal thanks to Bernard De Vos for chatting me through my first Autavia purchase a couple months back. I cold-emailed him and he spent a great deal of time responding to all my questions and concerns and I really appreciate it. Thought I'd share the story of my purchase here and ask for some more advice from the general group.

So, here's my story. I purchased my first Autavia and I absolutely love it! I can't believe how gorgeous the 1163 is in person. I believe Bernard mentioned this model is a pre-Viceroy with the Calibre 11i movement. Feels good to own a part of history! But I haven't even worn it yet...

My dilemma: I know watches are meant to be worn, but this 1163 is literally untouched and I don't know if I should just swap out the strap and give it life on a wrist, or make it a safe queen and try to find something that's a little dinged up to wear more casually.

----

Backstory: I walked into Feldmar Watch Co. here in Los Angeles and checked out their pre-owned section for fun like I usually do. I blinked a couple times and couldn't believe my eyes. A vintage Autavia was shrink-wrapped in the glass cabinet next to the usual assortment of Submariners and IWC chronos. I messaged Bernard and he gave me some pointers since I had never purchased anything vintage and needed help. The Autavia 1163 had the sticker on back and was a full set with red cigar box, sleeve, and papers. Awesome. It even felt kinda cool to buy the watch from Feldmar Watch Co. given their history with Jack Heuer himself (check out how Mr. Heuer mentions that his client "Feldmar" in LA [probably Jack Feldmar, the founder of Feldmar Watch Co.] was the man that introduced him to Hollywood prop masters that eventually helped get the Monaco onto Steve McQueen's wrist ---> 22:50 minute mark at https://livestream.com/phillips/events/7923909/videos/165699101).

Scott Feldmar (the founder's grandson) told me the Autavia came to him from a private collector that had apparently stashed it away in a safe since the 1970s. This makes sense because it looks like no one has ever worn this Autavia before. The sticker looks great, the original corfam strap is essentially still flat as a board. The steel between the lugs are even a mirrored finish. The gasket inside the caseback is in tact. It's like someone went back in time and brought this beauty to the future.

I feel fortunate to have found such a sharp piece with the sticker still on the back + full set. Like I mentioned earlier, it's a great feeling to own a piece of what appears to be untouched history, but I'm wondering if keeping it in the safe is overkill. I want to maintain the watch's value and will gladly hunt for a 2nd Autavia to wear if it means keeping this one with the sticker on back + pristine condition makes it unique and rare.

Sorry for the long post.

Pics are below.

Thanks!!

- Ara

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE